Home > Movies, Music > Patrick Daughters gets dark with Depeche Mode’s Personal Jesus

Patrick Daughters gets dark with Depeche Mode’s Personal Jesus

Director and king of the music video treatment, Patrick Daughters, has always had what you could describe as a cute style. Born out of an era when Wes Anderson and Michel Gondry were king, his music videos became known for their in-camera special effects, single continuous shots, playfulness, and a sort of sublime beauty — oftentimes bathed in slow motion.

After an unexpectedly popular video for Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ Maps in 2003, a critically acclaimed suite of videos for Feist (including 1,2,3,4 and I Feel It All), and his quick dissemination as the director of choice for indie bands who could afford to pull off his ideas (Death Cab For Cutie, The Shins, Interpol, Grizzly Bear), you would be forgiven for thinking you could pick out a Patrick Daughters video from a lineup.

However, it seems that the moody reverence most of us born before 1980 hold for Depeche Mode was able to turn even a life is beautiful type like Mr. Daughters towards the dark side.

His two videos for the band, the first accompanying the tune Wrong (2009) and a new one for Personal Jesus [Stargate Remix], have no sense of salvation baked in. Gone are the children, bright colors, and paper cutouts of his previous videos, and in their place we are shown a sort of decontextualized paranoia and an almost poetic sense of vengeance. Though both videos have Daughters-isms — Wrong‘s distinct stylistic realism and metaphorical backwards-moving car, Personal Jesus‘ slow-mo glittery explosion of water — both of these videos seem part of a new body of work. It seems like Mr. Daughters is pushing outside of his and his audiences’ comfort zone. It’s an interesting direction, and I’m curious where Patrick will go with this new found thematic freedom. I look forward to his next batch of music videos, and I’m very curious to hear more about his rumored upcoming feature film debut.

Movies, Music

1. October 17th, 2013 at 12:37 | #1

At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast,
    later than having my breakfast coming over again to
    read other news.

2. December 31st, 2013 at 13:40 | #2

Randi Zuckerberg, who is in a band called Feedbomb, is the
    former head of marketing for Facebook. Caring For A Relative With Brain Damage: Make Sure You Have Support.
    Would you like your family to spend more time together as a family.

3. March 21st, 2014 at 13:01 | #3

Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone
    and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.

I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

4. March 28th, 2014 at 07:33 | #4

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web
    site is fantastic, let alone the content!

5. April 29th, 2014 at 15:16 | #5

You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the article you write.
    The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you
    who are not afraid to say how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

6. May 19th, 2014 at 15:17 | #6

A childis brain can be a small such as a fresh pc, all
    set to go and all kicked up. You will require many structures to broaden your city on Societal Town.

7. May 23rd, 2014 at 01:22 | #7

The birthday boy/girl provides directions to their visitors.
    Mendel with cutouts within the stomach at the 2013 Grammy Awards.
    Memory is another easy game you may make to perform in the classroom or athome.

8. May 27th, 2014 at 13:20 | #8

Hi there outstanding blog! Does running a blog similar
    to this take a massive amount work? I have virtually no expertise in computer programming however I was
    hoping to start my own blog in the near future.

Anyhow, if you have any recommendations or techniques for
    new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic but I
    just wanted to ask. Kudos!

9. May 27th, 2014 at 20:29 | #9

Hello colleagues, its impressive article about cultureand completely defined, keep it up all the time.

10. May 28th, 2014 at 23:51 | #10

As demanding since it looks an iPod or iPhone jailbreak will not be.
    You could add (or remove) repos within cydia. They’re also organized for trade
    in deals with a purchase of the brand new iPad.

11. May 29th, 2014 at 00:06 | #11

With its assist you can change, near, slice, dice applications.
    It does not usually occurred but might be it can happen throughout jailbreak procedure.
    Action 7: At the next display, you might be prompted to settle on cydia and Installer.

12. May 29th, 2014 at 02:38 | #12

Reveal a casino game that you are sure is good for a child.
    Your techniques must be protected by you in the bad spiders.
    To learn more please visit http://www.mybethanyrose.com.
    Cut her hair really short or preserve its long hair.

13. May 29th, 2014 at 16:25 | #13

I like this article! Also, check out my RedSnow site here:

14. June 3rd, 2014 at 09:32 | #14

With the guidance of the online ticket brokers you
    will get information regarding the day of the show, location, and a list of the various prices that
    is available to you. It really shouldn’t have caused such a big debate on it and censoring
    the cards for the North American version. As a matter of fat, Facebook is gettig mo than a billo f log-ins
    from diffrent parts of the globe.

15. June 3rd, 2014 at 16:28 | #15

You can try improving your chances for greater profits. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing for businesses unless it is leaked to the media and then gives
    your brand a black eye. Advancments in free instagram followers
    can be linked with many areas.

16. June 4th, 2014 at 05:22 | #16

After unlocking they can use much better services and at cheaper prices which also saves money.
    This will be the simplest and safest method to hide
    Cydia in your iPhone. Yes…hops, in a Russian Imperial Stout nevertheless.

17. June 12th, 2014 at 04:50 | #17

I constantgly emailed this blog post page to alll my friends, for the
    reason that if like to read it then my limks will too.

18. June 17th, 2014 at 08:00 | #18

I feel this is one of the such a lot vital info
    for me. And i am glad studying your article. However should remark
    on some common things, The web site taste is great, the
    articles is actually great : D. Good process, cheers

19. June 17th, 2014 at 13:19 | #19

I need to to thank you for this very good read!! I absolutely enjoyed every
    little bit of it. I have got you book marked to look at new stuff you post…

20. June 20th, 2014 at 21:03 | #20

This web site consists of adult content and would
    be to be accessed strictly by individuals one many years of age or mature.
    Don’t let them put you off if you have a genuine interest in making
    money off the online camming industry. Perfect – Cam Reside Intercourse CAM
    could be the very best good quality live webcam offered.

21. June 22nd, 2014 at 11:38 | #21

It’s just a way to keep a few email addresses easy to find
    on top. In addition to getting started off on the right
    foot with your customers, there are other reasons why businesses verify
    email addresses as an important step ion the marketing process:.
    You can even send out a different offer to your mailing list every day.

22. July 1st, 2014 at 22:22 | #22

I seriously love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you make this website yourself? Please reply back
    as I’m trying to create my very own blog and want to learn where you got this from
    or just what the theme is named. Cheers!, http://goo.gl/umDYgk

23. July 4th, 2014 at 07:07 | #23

What’s up, after reading this amazing article i am as weol
    cheerful to share my know-how here with colleagues.

24. July 22nd, 2014 at 20:10 | #24

Right now it seems like Expression Engine is the top blogging platform available right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using
    on your blog?

25. August 1st, 2014 at 09:43 | #25

Every weekend i used to visit this website, for the reason that i wish
    for enjoyment, as this this web site conations truly nice funny material too.

26. August 5th, 2014 at 21:28 | #26

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable
    information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!

27. August 7th, 2014 at 04:53 | #27

I’m not sure why but this website is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my
    end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

28. August 12th, 2014 at 05:52 | #28

Unquestionably believe that which you stated.

Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the simplest
    thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about
    worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people
    could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

29. September 1st, 2014 at 20:58 | #29

Libra will probably shine with Sorry and be not so good with Goodbye.

(1992) “Facing Love Addiction: Giving Yourself the Power to Change the Way You Love,”Harper
    - One. Now it may be possible in rare instances to find relationships or love in an MMO but
    a glance at the evidence suggests it is a lot easier to find
    some quick relief.

30. September 4th, 2014 at 10:39 | #30

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries
    that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the
    nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could
    take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

31. September 11th, 2014 at 00:18 | #31

Thus wird einander jeder kunde ohne Bedrohung und ebenfalls auf jeden fall von den versauten Frauen live vor der ja bekanntlich Videochat.
    A respectable sexcam internet site offers you best cam sex that unlocks the entrance to
    the hardcore grounds on the internet. according to the situation and individuals involved.

32. September 19th, 2014 at 10:36 | #32

Hello exceptional website! Does running a blog like this require a lot of work?
    I’ve virtually no expertise in programming but I was hoping to start
    my own blog soon. Anyway, if you have any ideas
    or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject nevertheless I
    just wanted to ask. Thanks a lot!

33. September 22nd, 2014 at 14:44 | #33

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article.

I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful
    info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

34. September 23rd, 2014 at 16:30 | #34

So why is being overweight such a direct link to diabetes.

Perhaps the main reason behind this though is that you have developed a dependence on food.
    Adiphene Weight Loss Supplements Offers a Unique 25% Discount
    n select package fr Online B Worldwide If the online critiques are
    something to go by, Adiphene is an efficient weight-loss
    option.

35. September 24th, 2014 at 16:10 | #35

In short, Adobe designed Flex simply because they sensed a desire and filled it.
    You can understand on other types of online banners, some HTML photo tricks along with using
    Java – Script to animate images. However, they decided to stop and initiate through the beginning, which guided the development in the open source browser
    and very quickly expanded to some complete application platform.

36. September 26th, 2014 at 18:00 | #36

You’ll for certain do not have something to lose with Adiphene, thus for those that actually
    need to slim while not losing their time and power, then Adiphene is that the product for you.
    This means thay everybody who makes use of Adiphene should shed pounds.
    Having said that, the study has shown that just about anything that
    can maximize the metabolism, also can raise the weight reduction even if the human being is just resting.

37. September 28th, 2014 at 17:03 | #37

You wont find Adiphene in your native pharmacy or some huge store like Walmart or Walgreens.

Adiphene the new weight loss formula is now available with the power of
    11 different fat burners to boost weight loss. Glucomannan is
    among the most active hunger suppressants in Adiphene, and it works to suppress yearnings and
    help you handle your parts.

38. September 30th, 2014 at 08:18 | #38

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

39. October 4th, 2014 at 13:51 | #39

If you have been feeling tired and rundown lately, and seem to be
    gaining weight for no apparent reason, then it is time for a change.
    Individuals who have underlying medical condition should also consult a physician before taking this diet pill.

Having said that, the study has shown that just about anything
    that can maximize the metabolism, also can raise the weight
    reduction even if the human being is just resting.

40. October 5th, 2014 at 12:24 | #40

It reduces fats and carb absorption, reduces urge for food, stimulates the metabolism promoting
    fats burning and offers you extra vitality. It’s conceivable to accomplish this objective the conventional path moreover through
    an equalized eating methodology and exercise.

Having said that, the study has shown that just about anything that can maximize the metabolism, also
    can raise the weight reduction even if the human being is
    just resting.

41. October 8th, 2014 at 17:18 | #41

Actor and singer Patrick Bruel was among France’s biggest
    stars in the ’90s, first making his / her name being a teen idol and leading a positive return to traditional French
    chanson from the new millennium. Bruel came into this world
    Patrick Benguigui in Tlemcen, Algeria, on May 14, 1959. Their father abandoned a family when Patrick was
    just a year old, including 1962, after Algeria received its independence,
    his mother moved to France, negotiating inside Paris suburb associated with Argenteuil.
    A good soccer player within the youth, Patrick first decided upon the idea
    of becoming a artist after seeing Michel Sardou perform in 1975.

As fortune would have it, acting would deliver him his first success; first-time director
    Alexandre Arcady ran an ad seeking a man which has a French-Algerian (or “pied-noir” in French slang) accent for
    his movie Le Coup een Sirocco. Benguigui (as having been still called) responded
    and acquired the part. The year, he spent a in Ny,
    where he fulfilled Gérard Presgurvic, later to get his most important composer.

Source: http://blog.girlportal.ru/blog/item/mnogomernyj-kristall-metodologiya-i-osobennosti

42. October 17th, 2014 at 06:13 | #42

Greetgings from Loos angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided tto check out your
    site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge
    you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m amazed at how quick your bllog loaded on my phone ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways,
    great site!

43. October 17th, 2014 at 22:48 | #43

This tends to make it fiddly to change the weight just as you are in the middle
    of an intense set of reps. At the time of surfing
    on internet you will find many suppliers and manufacturer of sporting goods and accessories, it is
    very difficult to choose best of them that provides best accessories for all types of game including basketball,
    badminton, baseball, cricket, boxing, carrom board, football, soccer, handball and hockey games.
    If your working on building your own in home gym or would just like
    a place to store your dumbbells, but don’t want to spend a large amount of money on a dumbbell stand, this easy to follow step by step will show you how to
    build your own at a fraction of the cost.

44. November 17th, 2014 at 11:54 | #44

Adiphene is the newest and fastest weight reduction supplement in market.
    The science behind Adiphene consists of 12 of probably the most power fat preventing ingredients known.

45. March 28th, 2015 at 15:09 | #45

You’ll for certain do not have something to lose with Adiphene,
    thus for those that actually need to slim
    Individuals who have underlying medical condition should also consult a
    physician before taking this diet pill. Sonnie
    Mc – Lemore is a health and fitness blog owner.

46. October 17th, 2015 at 19:38 | #46

The first step to constructing a lewd capture web page system
    on-line is too create an irresistible lead magnet.

47. December 12th, 2017 at 06:09 | #47

Right here is the perfect website for anybody who really wants to understand this topic.
    You know a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I
    really will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a new
    spin on a subject that’s been written about for many years.
    Great stuff, just wonderful!

1. No trackbacks yet.